Monday 14 May 2012

Review: Skip Beat [Manga] By Hiro Mashima









Genre: Comedy, Shoujo, Romance and Drama
Tankoubon (Volumes): 27 – OnGoing
Released: 2002 to (?)
Age Rating: Older Teen (16+)
Published By (US): VIZ Media LLC [ShojoBeat]








Synopsis: 

Kyouko Mogami followed her true love Sho to Tokyo to support him while he made it big as an idol. But he’s casting her out now that he’s famous! Kyouko won’t suffer in silence … she’s going to get her sweet revenge by beating Sho in show biz!


My Thought:

Skip Beat is a shojo Manga, which tell the story of a 16 year old Kyouko. Kyouko’s life has always known only one aim which is to please others. It starts with her mother who didn’t care much for her, or Sho’s family, who took her in after she was abandoned by her mother.

Then one day her childhood friend sho asks Kyouko who is consider a country bumpkin, if she wants to go to the city with him but what sho really wanted is to use her as stepping stone; to reach his goal which is to become a star. After Kyouko found out that he was only using her, he make her awakens another side in her.

After that Kyouko changed from being an innocent girl to a woman full of the desire of revenge towards the man that used her; but she didn’t kow that, in her way to making him suffer and cry at her feet, she would begain a whole new life into the show business and find herself having a great talent and love towards acting which make Kyouko some sort of cute, joyful, and full of purpose woman while also being a woman who holds grudges and acts in some crazy and unexpected ways.

Lets me tell you a little bit about Shou Fuwa and his real name is Shoutarou. He keeps it hidden because he finds it as very old and traditional name. Sho had no qualms about tricking Kyouko into going with him to Tokyo so she could be a free servant for him. He also had even less qualms about being extremely cruel to her when she discovered this. Sho eventually figured out that Kyouko  was in L.M.E., and was surprised to see her transformation which helped revealed that he has more feelings for her than he originally thought.

The second male lead in this manga is Ren Tsuruga. Ren is, in outward appearances, and extremely nice and polite star. However, he shows his true self whenever he deals with Kyoko. Alsthough at times teasing, he harbors and unrequited love for Kyouko. As the story progresses, flashbacks reveal a past with Kyouko when she was smaller, however, Kyouko is still unaware of this.

Overall, this manga is so AMAZING and AWESOME … I love it so much. In fact, it’s one of my favorite manga.

Rating: 5/5

11 comments:

  1. I'm not into manga, but I've always found them beautiful and interesting. This sounds like a great story. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved it ... and I think that you should try it out if you ever wanted a light read :)

      Delete
  2. Ooooo an all time favorite Lilly? That sounds promising! I have yet to try a manga series, but it's one of those things I've been hoping to make time for this year! Glad to know this is a good series to start with:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously encourage you to read it ... it is so good :) no matter how many time I re-read it ... I never get bored it is just that AWESOME

      Delete
  3. I really need to try manga sometime, especially since I love it when a story has artwork. Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by ... and if you ever read I manga I will so happy to read your review :)

      Delete
  4. I'm doing a post over the summer, "Jen Reads Manga." I'm not a comic book/graphic novel/manga person but my 2012 reading goal is to read outside my comfort zone!! So far, that's worked great for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jen, I will be looking forward to your post "Jen Reads Manga" :)

      Delete
  5. great review, I've been meaning to give skip beat a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete